Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Shades of white

Well, although the sun was shinning all day, it was bitterly cold here today (-9F this morning) and very windy (wind chill probably around -25). Schools all over the Upper Penninsula of Michigan were closed because of the wind chill danger. It was hard to keep the house warm with just the wood stove, so had to turn on the furnace :( But it was much warmer in the basement (where said wood stove is) and I have a small electric heater where I craft, so I spent the afternoon playing with paper!! What better way to  spend a cold winter day.......
So, the challenge at Flutterby Wednesday #223 was to make an all white creation, your image only could have color, and of course it must have a fairy or butterfly.
 Now, I know there are many shades of every color, but white was especially challenging. Such subtle shade changes truly challenge me. I decided to go not only with shade variations, but different textures as well.


So here is what I came up with. I am still working with items I have sorted out to organize, and this little fairy image is from a sheet of stickers from PSX called Garden Fairies. They are so adorable! I picked up this sheet of stickers a couple years ago, and had not used any of them. In the process of sorting things out I had stuck this little image on a scrap of white to see how they actually looked on paper. She just looks so happy-like she is thinking such happy thoughts! So of course the sentiment had to be Thinking of You!
I cut the image piece out with Spellbinders Labels 3. I mounted that on an element cut with SB Fancy TAgs 2. Then I cut the frame from Bazzil Wedding Whites with Spellbinders Classic Frame. I cut the frame a second time with Bazzil plain White Lace and used the middle piece to mount the image and tag inside the frame. I ran the back mat through the Cuttlebug with the Stampin' Up 'Petals Aplenty' embossing folder. The Flowers were cut from Stampin' Up Shimmery White cardstock with Memory Box Fancy Blossom dies. I then used a stylus and foam mat to give the flowers some dimension. I added 'greenery' cut from a scrap of shimmery white paper and some white rhinestones to the frame and the center of the flowers. The sentiment is from Verve's 'Joyful Blooms' stamp set. I stamped it with Memento Grape Jelly and  cut it out with SB Deckled Rectangles. I popped the frame and image up with foam dots and tape. I adhered the flowers with Glossy Accents. And that's my journey for today! Hope you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment